Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Takoyaki: You're so Yummy!


I'm not a real fan of Japanese foods mainly because I have this impression that most of their foods are raw (no offense meant). Aside from California Maki and Tempura, there's no other Japanese food that you can make me eat until Lesly introduced to me Takoyaki.

"Takoyucky? Tako what?" That's the first thing that came out from my hungry mouth and puzzled brain. "Just come with me and try it" she replied.

So what is Takoyaki? Takoyaki (literally fried or grilled octopus) is a popular ball-shaped Japanese dumpling or more like a savory pancake made of batter and cooked in a special takoyaki pan. It is typically filled with diced octopus, tempura scraps (tenkasu), pickled ginger, and green onion.
Takoyaki! Yer so yummeh!
So, we headed to Glorietta 4's Food Court and found this stall selling Takoyaki in 3 increments - 3 for 39 php, 6 for 69 php, 9 for 99php (?)


First thing I saw was this pan with holes and stuffs that looked like squidballs. The server took 6 pieces of Takoyaki and placed them in a plate, poured sauce and mayonnaise over the balls, added green stuff I just learned it's called aonori or seaweed, some shavings that seemed like pencil shavings but it's called katsuobushi or fish. Seriously those shavings are moving and it gave me the creeps till I realized it was the steam of the takoyaki that's causing it to move (Noob Fail)

The first thing that you would have to do is to let it cool off a bit. It's gonna be a big fail once you're pwned by it and you won't appreciate it's taste. After taking that big ball of goody in my mouth, I instantly tasted the sweetness of the sauce and how the ingredients and that tiny bit of octopus filling blended well inside my mouth which will make you crave for more.

So that's it, so far so good Takoyaki is now under my list of favorite Japanese food.

No comments:

Post a Comment